Thursday, April 1, 2010

BuyFind This DVD #2: Conrack



"Conrack" is a terrific gem of a movie, but definitely not widely known. This fact-based drama stars Jon Voight (or Angelina Jolie's daddy as some know him) as Pat Conroy who goes to teach a two room schoolhouse on an island off the coast of South Carolina. He soon realizes that the children have very little formal education and none can tell him what state they live in, or even what 2+2 is. The plot is somewhat of a typical "nice white person goes into a school of underprivileged minorities and teaches them to overcome adversity and triumph in spite of hardships," but I find "Conrack" is just different and is more touching than most movies of that formula today.

So, I would usually add a link to the website where you can buy this movie on DVD, but apparently production was discontinued and I have no idea where to get it otherwise I'd be ordering it right now also. I couldn't even find a video clip to add to the post which gives you an idea of just how little known this film is. If you do find it and you're a fan of drama you should do yourself a favor and buy it immediately.

In the words of Pat Conroy...well actually without the DVD I can't remember any quotes off the top of my head so I'll just lift it from the poster, "I want you all to take a real long look at me. That shouldn't be any hardship because I'm handsome."

No comments:

Post a Comment